Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) affects at least 10% of the United States population. And the current solutions offered by our government and the market aren’t cutting it.
You’re just trying to make a living and live your best life. But the trauma of your past can make you feel trapped in your mind. You’re reliving the pain and it’s eclipsing your ability to rest, connect with others and have peace with yourself.
And you may have chronic physical pain from your trauma or from the mental manifesting in your body. So you’ve gone to your doctor or the government for something. Anything.
Pharmaceuticals aren’t meant for chronic use. But without many legal options available, again you feel stuck on how you can move forward.
That’s where CBD tinctures come in. Research keeps coming in that shows how CBD can truly help you heal your PTSD.
Here’s what’s known now and what can be done to better your future with your condition.
CBD tinctures are not a cure
We won’t give you the empty promise that CBD can cure you of PTSD.
That is an ongoing journey of management that will require a variety of methods. So we can promise you that CBD tinctures are an effective tool for bringing you relief.
You’ll learn about how CBD helps relieve a variety of symptoms below. Those symptoms can include insomnia, anxiety, depression, and possibly addiction depending on a variety of factors.
This isn’t to say addiction is an inevitably. But if it’s a problem you struggle with, CBD has proven to help with that as well.
In any case, you can find reprieve with CBD. Especially if you lack access to medical cannabis or your livelihood could be at risk for marijuana usage.
When your symptoms kick in, CBD tinctures can be quick-acting if you take it sublingually.
But you should also consider that CBD is helping to bring homeostasis to your endocannabinoid system. It’s helping to bring you balance from the feelings that may grip you at certain moments.
So don’t just think of sublingual tinctures as a quick fix when things get hard with your condition. Consumption is apart of an ongoing journey in wellness, so there’s a number of ways you can ingest tinctures.
Memory & CBD
Going back to the basics, post traumatic stress disorder is rooted in highly traumatic events that cause a variety of chronic disturbances. With that said, that opens up to the fact that PTSD can manifest from a variety of occurrences.
It’s not just a condition military veterans have to survive. It can happen to civilians and can come from physical and emotional abuse and catastrophic events. And as you know, the problems and symptoms branching out from it are rooted in memory.
You know these memories are fear-based and can be especially debilitating. So the CBD tinctures are addressing crossover issues with your endocannabinoid system (ECS) and your brain.
The amygdala is the part of your brain that handles flight-or-fight responses and stress, thus it’s a fear-based component. Because you weren’t able to address the fear, your amygdala is overactive and keeps you locked in a cycle of the past.
Studies have found that CBD can help you mitigate that fear. With the tinctures, you’re rebalancing your ECS, which helps to relax your amygdala and stimulate your hippocampus, the memory storage portion of your brain.
Considering this, studies consider that this process can even help you forget such binding memories with CBD. More research is needed to confirm.
PTSD Symptoms CBD Helps With
You’re familiar with your symptoms. Insomnia instilled by nightmares or flashbacks. Anxiety and depression that limit your ability to interact with the world without feeling low. You may have developed an unhealthy addiction to junk food, cigarettes, or opiates if you’re also treating chronic pain.
CBD tinctures can help with all these symptoms. Here’s the breakdown of how:
- Chronic stress: mentioned before, CBD helps decrease cortisol (stress hormone) production and regulates an overactive amygdala.
- Sleep disturbance: CBD can help ease away the noise of endless chatter in your mind while you’re drifting off to sleep. And again, it can balance your ECS so to get your fearful mind to lay off the nightmares
- Inability to reduce fear: tinctures can help with pushing those fearful experiences further into the past and may help make them fade over time
- Chronic anxiety: endless chatter, worry and fear can keep you trapped in your own mind; CBD can help break that wheel so you can use your brain for imagining fun scenarios
- Depression: the feelings of inertia, sluggishness, disinterest and numbness can fade away as CBD works its way through those worn down parts of your mind
- Addiction (cigarettes, food, alcoholism, opiates as a response): when your episodes with PTSD get to be too much, you may develop a crutch or three to get through each day. Studies show that CBD can help cut back your cues to partake in your addiction. In the case of medications—they were never meant for chronic use—CBD can help increase the medicinal effects of your prescribed drug. That helps decrease the amount of pills you need for relief.
From a holistic standpoint, mental pain can manifest as physical discomfort. Embracing CBD tinctures as a possible long-term solution for your PTSD healing can bring balance to your entire life.
What if you feel tinctures aren’t working for you?
What if you’ve had experience with CBD tinctures and you’ve never felt relief for your PTSD? CBD can get pretty expensive and you’re justified in feeling frustrated that your hard-earned money isn’t yielding results.
Here’s some things to consider:
- Is it an isolate or full spectrum or broad spectrum? If your product is CBD only, you may benefit from our selection that includes terpene profiles and less than 0.3% THC. There’s also broad spectrum.
It includes various cannabinoids—other cannabis chemical compounds with medicinal benefits—with the exception of THC. There’s a low possibility of you getting a positive drug test.
- What’s the terpene profile? Terpenes are the aromatic molecules in plants. That includes marijuana, hemp, peppermint, black pepper and lemongrass.
Though terpenes typically are in small percentages, they can offer medicinal benefits and thus help create the entourage effect. Check to see if what you’ve been using includes these.
- What’s the extraction process? This matters because it reflects the quality and potency of your CBD tincture. Is it gold? Is it black? Was it butane extracted? Or CO2 extracted?
There’s a variety of types and the best way to check quality is with lab results. All good companies offer third-party lab results.
We also recommend that if you’re only using tinctures, you ought to change things up and start adding in other types of CBD products.
- Vaping oil or concentrates is great for quick-acting relief.
- If you have migraines, a stiff neck or other pains, a CBD topical can help.
- Maybe you’re tired of the taste of tinctures or don’t like adding it to things—grab some CBD edibles or capsules!
It doesn’t hurt to add more options to your management plan.
Stay strong healing PTSD with CBD tinctures
With CBD tinctures, think of the journey you’re on. It may not be a cure, but CBD is helping you on the path of healing for PTSD. This harmful, debilitating condition may no longer rob you of your well-being, your relationships or your livelihood with CBD.
But you still have to experiment with what works best for you to improve your quality of life.
And CBD tinctures are a fine way to move in that direction.
Alaina Dorsey is CEO, freelance cannabis copywriter and content strategist at her Baltimore-based business Bud Biz Llama in Maryland.