Delta 8 THC has become an extremely popular hemp-derived cannabinoid thanks to its fascinating properties and mild psychoactive effects. Mainers who have found success with CBD are undoubtedly starting to explore the possibility of incorporating delta 8 into their routines as well. But, the question is whether or not this compound is actually legal in the state? Also, where can someone in Maine find only pure, authentic, and lab-tested delta-8 to know that they’re getting the best quality possible?
How is Delta 8 THC Different from Delta 9 THC?
Delta 8 THC is a cannabinoid that’s often compared and contrasted to delta 9 THC, and for good reasons.
- Delta 8 THC is a unique cannabinoid in that it results from oxidized delta 9 THC. As delta 9 ages in the plant’s structure, it naturally converts into delta 8, which offers about 30% less psychoactive activity to create a milder high.
- How they double bond in each of their structures can also differ, as delta 8 is double bond on the 8th carbon atom, while delta 9 has a double bond on its 9th chain. With its different double bond location, delta-8 binds to the endocannabinoid system (ECS) uniquely, so it’s less potent than delta-9.
- Delta 8 enthusiasts describe the high as bliss-inducing, blissful, and capable of keeping the mind relatively clear compared to delta 9.
- Delta-8 has a strong affinity for CB1 receptors in the nervous system, which explains many of its unique effects.
Just How Natural Then is Delta 8 THC?
This can be up for debate, depending upon on who you ask and how they differentiate natural from synthetic. You see, when a product says ‘natural’ or ‘all-natural’, you often make a final determination that a certain product or substance is available in nature, generated without any human involvement. In this sense, ‘natural’ substances are compounds found in nature.
So, delta 8 THC is a naturally occurring compound found in cannabis. It forms as a byproduct since delta 9 THC breaks down under exposure to heat and light. In fact, a good majority of legal experts agree that delta 8 is classified as a naturally derived substance, rather than a synthetically derived one.
Is Delta 8 THC Legal in Maine?
Delta 8 THC is fully legal in Maine for all adult citizens, thanks to the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill. It simply made all hemp derivatives federally legal as long as they contain a maximum of 0.3% delta 9 THC. This legislation allows state residents to choose any delivery method, product formula, and milligram strength that they’d like. Of course, with no restrictions on purchase or possession amount. So, delta 8 is fully legal whether you live in Augusta, Bangor, Lewiston, Bar Harbor, or anywhere else in ME.
However, you should know that delta 8 THC and delta 9 THC are processed by the same metabolite in the body. Meaning, using delta 8 is not recommended if you are drug tested. Furthermore, because it’s intoxicating, you should not drive or go to work while under the influence of delta-8.
Where to Purchase Delta 8 THC in Maine
You’ve to remember that not all delta 8 THC is created equally, as quality levels can vary. And, unfortunately, some sources do sell fake delta 8. This means that you need to be extremely mindful of where you’re looking to buy delta-8 products.
While Maine permits recreational marijuana use, marijuana-derived delta 8 THC is not considered legal in the state. Basically, you’ll want to make sure that you are only buying hemp-derived delta 8 products.
You can use Google or Weedmaps to find out whether or not local stores in your area carry delta 8 products. You’ll want to look at reviews of a store ahead of time. Why? Because stores that don’t specialize in hemp-based products, especially if local demand is low, may not have strict quality standards.
It’s always preferred to buy your delta 8 THC online, from a reputable hemp retailer. This gives you a lot of advantages, including:
- Larger selection of products available, with different milligram strengths, delivery methods, and formulas for more precise customization of how one takes delta 8.
- More affordable prices due to lower overhead costs.
- Higher quality standards due to more competition and higher customer demands.
- Special offers, clearance sales and promotions throughout the year.
- Options to buy in bulk, and purchase money-saving bundles.
- The convenience of shopping from the comfort of home.
- Products that are fresher due to a faster product turnover rate.
Pure CBD Vapors offers a variety of delta 8 products to choose from, in all kinds of product types, formulations, strains, strengths, etc. We’re very strict when it comes to the labels that we carry, offering only reputable brands that maintain lab-testing protocol. Not only do we have a delta-8 product for every need, but our prices are extremely competitive, and our shipping is very fast.
What Places Should You Avoid Purchasing Delta 8 THC From?
Be aware that there are certain types of vendors should be strictly avoided since they are associated with offering low-quality delta 8 products.
Convenience Stores and Gas Stations
Although these can be convenient locations, it is unlikely that these places are selling high-quality delta 8. They simply do not screen for quality, and instead are simply looking to sell hemp goods cheaply and quickly. There really is no level of expertise needed to spot a fake delta-8 product.
Never buy delta 8 or any hemp-infused product for that matter from an unlicensed business. Companies that sell hemp goods must be registered with their state. If they are not registered, they aren’t compliant to begin with and should be avoided at all costs. Also, avoid buying delta-8 from strangers online, in social media outlets, forums, or on Craigslist/Facebook/eBay.
What Kinds of Delta 8 THC Products Can I Buy in Maine?
Like CBD, delta 8 THC comes in a wide array of product types. In fact, each one is unique for Maine residents. With that said, it is a good idea to know of the different product types ahead of time to zone in on the product(s) most likely to suit your needs.
- Vape Cartridges: D8 vape carts contain a blend of delta 8 THC distillate and terpenes, in a wide strain variety. These 510-threaded carts are compatible with standard vape pens.
- Disposable Vapes: D8 disposable vapes also come in a great strain selection, but the technology is more user-friendly, as they are pre-assembled and require zero charging or refilling.
- Edibles: D8 edibles including gummies are available in many great flavor options, and they are associated with the longest-lasting effects and an enjoyable body high.
- Tinctures: D8 tinctures absorb sublingually and come in dropper bottles for easy administration. Their effects are more potent than edibles and less potent than vapes, sorta like a happy medium.
- Capsules: D8 capsules offer a simpler formula than edibles, while offering the same type of experience since they absorb in the same manner.
- Flower: D8 flower takes the raw buds of the hemp plant and infuses them with pure delta 8 THC distillate. Find lots of great strains in both pre-roll and loose bud forms.
- Dabs: D8 dabs are concentrates known for being extremely potent (better for non-beginners) and are “dabbed” or flash-vaporized with a dabbing device.
- Topicals: D8 topicals will not get you high, since they absorb through the skin with effects that are localized to the deep tissue.
The Pine Tree State is Buzzing with Delta 8 THC
As you can see, delta 8 THC is a legal cannabinoid in Maine. Essentially, adult residents can enjoy all of the exciting products that are emerging on the market. Since the quality level of delta 8 can vary tremendously, best to find a trusted online retailer with strict standards. Again, this is to know that you’re getting the best of the best available.
Note: Best to check up on the laws periodically as that can always change. With delta 8 THC being new, most states haven’t had the chance to give statements on this cannabinoid. Still, delta 8 is likely here to stay, since it’s a compound that’s legal as CBD is on a federal level.